Use PowerPoint as a way to provide information or as a method for demonstrating knowledge, either way, it can be a very powerful program.
Using PowerPoint to develop accessible books is a wonderful approach that is perfect on any teacher's budget!! Buy a mic and make it into a talking PowerPoint! For younger students this is a great method for providing information, for older students it is a great way to have them demonstrate their knowledge. It is an ageless approach in any educational setting.
For students with severe disabilities, teachers can design presentation books for supporting the concept of cause and effect using switch access while accessing the core curriculum. You can use PowerPoint Stories to reinforce concepts being learned or for presenting social stories. Use PowerPoint to read books to students to reinforce the reading process or have students develop their own talking PowerPoint presentations as a report format or to make storybooks for younger students.
Developing PowerPoint Books is a form of making accessible books. Accessible Books are children’s picture books in accessible formats.
- Books are scanned and images added to accessible software.
- Text is recorded using digitized (human reader) or synthesized (computer speech) speech.
- The graphics, text and narration are then available for reading on computer or touch devices.
- The student may use assistive technology to access the books.
- Comprehension enhanced through pictures.
- Recommended children’s literature.
- Curriculum content at early reading levels.
- Locally relevant content for any age group.
SET-BC has provided these videos:
- Call Scottland has a wonderful Pdf grid which provides A Guide to Picture and Symbol Sets for Communication which would be a great resource for PowerPoints also!
- PowerPoint in the classroom from the "Electric Teacher" site
- Classroom Resources from Education World
- Elementary PowerPoint Presentations (Take these and add some sound to them!)
- More PowerPoint Games
Have fun. It is amazing what one can do with the small price of a computer microphone.